Sooperfishial

Disbanded.

Monday, January 03, 2005

An Experiment

This is an experiment I want to try.
We all know that we think with our brains.
When you have a thought or when you think something over, you hear the voices in your head.
For example, when you're thinking, you can 'hear' your thoughts. They come out as words, and are 'heard' by a 'listner' in you.
Thoughts are in their orignal form, structureless. Words are structured. However, as we've developed language, which is basically a code consisting of sounds and written letters, our thoughts too are coded in the same system.
Why we do this is still not clear to me, as uncoded or thoughts in their orignal form would probably be faster and clearer.
Any code applied to any form of communication will always lead to increase in processing time in the form of coding and decoding. (Yes, one could argue that all forms of external communication are in essence codes)

Let me clarify, even for myself.
How often have you had trouble putting your thoughts in words? Or how often have you had an idea, or a feeling or a question about something, but your not sure what to do with it, because you can't put it in coded (liguistic) form, even for yourself?

So what we have done now, is code internal communication.
Our own thought processes have to go through a coding and decoding process.
The problems? Not only does this introduce a coding and deconding Time, but we also are subjected to the boundries of the language we use.

I'm not saying that all our thoughts are coded.
Even besides what we call our subconcious, a lot of our mental processes are carried out in their 'raw' form.
Infact, most of the thought process is still 'codeless'. Which is definitly a good thing.
It is only, what I would call the Lower thought process that need to be converted.
This is perhaps because of our need to communicate our Lower thoughts.

Hmm.. I seem to have gotten completely off-topic. Major digression. Bah! I'm a very distracted fellow.

The Experiment I wanted to carry out, was to see if you could make somebody believe that their own inne Voice, or Voices can from some other part of their body, other than their brain/head.

To carry out the experiment, one would have to choose an unsullied/pure candidate.. i.e. a Baby.
For his/her entire life, the child would be told that his 'thoughts/idea.. and perhaps we can even add feelings came from his/her.. let's say Pinkie finger.. or maybe his/her knee.

I wonder if he would conciously carry out his thought process in his knee. What I mean is, would he believe he thought from his knee?
Would he still be subject to headaches, like the ones you get when mentally stressed?

Hmm.. interesting.... EEnnnnterrrresting...